Rose Thompson March 11, 2015
Wouldn’t it be nice to find relevant companies before they raise money from your competitors?
I wanted to share a quick PitchBook Platform search for startups that are getting good web and social traction, but still might be flying under your radar. Here’s how you can execute a similar search yourself:
1. Open the “Companies and Deals” advanced search in PitchBook.
2. Plug in your industry and/or region of focus. I used “virtual reality” as a keyword search.
3. Add .5% to the Growth Rate “minimum” field.*
4. Add a “VC Money Raised” column and enter a maximum filter (be sure to select “Include Empty Values”).
5. Set up an email alert so you’ll know any time a new company crosses over .5%.
*I’ve determined that anything above a .5% or 1% weekly growth rate is a good cutoff for startups getting traction with their web traffic and social reach. That translates to an estimated annual growth rate of 30% and captures at least the top quartile in more nascent industries like my example of virtual reality. To catch these companies early on in their financing history, I filtered for less than $5 million raised. You can, of course, adjust that as you wish. Happy hunting!