George Gaprindashvili December 29, 2014
As 2014 comes to an end, it’s time to reflect on all that’s happened in the world of venture capital this year. Records were broken, unicorns were born and a number of blockbuster acquisitions were completed. Without further ado, here’s a recap of some of the biggest and best of 2014.
For more 2014 in Review content, click here.
$1.2 billion Series E ($40.4B post valuation) – VC investors participating included New Enterprise Associates.
$1.19 billion Series D ($18.2B) – Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Google Ventures, Menlo Ventures.
$1.1 billion ($45B) – Xiaomi’s VC backers include Accel Partners, Qualcomm Ventures, Qiming Venture Partners and IDG Capital Partners.
$1 billion – Venture firm Accel Partners joined Morgan Stanley, Digital Sky Technologies and others in the round. Flipkart’s most recent valuation is $10.55 billion.
$900 million Series F ($4.11B) – Intel Capital led the round, joined by DAG Ventures, Google Ventures and others.
1. JD.com (NASDAQ: JD) – In May, the Chinese online shopping platform sold 93.7 million American depositary shares at $19 each, raising $1.78 billion.
2. Rocket Internet (FRA: RKET) – The Germany-based company raised €1.4 billion in its initial public offering on the Frankfurt stock exchange in October, selling close to 33 million shares at €42.50 each.
3. Lending Club (NYSE: LC) – The online peer-to-peer lending platform raised $870 million in its December IPO, selling 58 million shares at $15 apiece.
4. Zalando (FRA: ZAL) – A Rocket Internet portfolio company, Zalando raised €605 through its offering in September, selling 28.1 million shares at €21.50 per share.
5. Just-Eat (LSE: JE) – The U.K.-based company raised £387 million in its IPO on the London Stock Exchange in April.
Amount: $22 billion
Date: October 6
Amount: $3.2 billion
Date: February 7
Company: Oculus VR
Amount: $2.24 billion
Date: June 19
Company: Alios BioPharma
Amount: $1.75 billion
Date: November 7
Amount: $1.55 billion
Date: February 24
Tiger Global Private Investment Partners IX
Amount: $2.5 billion
Close Date: November 26
Amount: $2.23 billion
Close Date: March 19
Andreessen Horowitz Fund IV
Amount: $1.7 billion
Close Date: March 28
Tiger Global Private Investment Partners VIII
Amount: $1.54 billion
Close Date: April 14
Norwest Venture Partners XII
Amount: $1.2 billion
Close Date: May 13
To see the complete list for any of these categories, contact us here.