Taking a close look at recent trends in the PE space, PitchBook has released its 3Q 2013 Private Equity Breakdown. Powered by the PitchBook Platform and sponsored by Merrill DataSite and NewStar Financial, this report offers data-driven analysis on deal flow, investment trends, exit activity and fundraising.
Some highlights include:
• PE firms completed 738 deals totaling $140 billion in the first half of 2013; this is the slowest start to a year since 2009
• Strong public markets spurred an increase in IPO activity for PE-backed portfolio companies
• Deal flow in IT increased 26% from 1Q to 2Q; all other industries saw declines of at least 10%
• PE firms completed 108 exits in 2Q; an improvement from the previous quarter but still the second lowest total since 1Q 2011
• PE firms closed 29 funds totaling $48 billion, which is the most capital raised in a quarter since 1Q 2009
Available for download:PDF reportExcel spreadsheetPowerPoint deck