Covering all aspects of private equity activity in the U.S. middle market, PitchBook's 4Q 2015 U.S. PE Middle Market Report analyzes trends across segments of the market, sectors and much more. The report, which is sponsored by Madison Capital Funding, also delves into PE exit activity and fundraising within the space. The video above takes a brief look at a few key findings from the report, including:
- 499 U.S. middle-market deals were completed in the third quarter of 2015—a high mark for the year—though capital invested was down nearly 23% year over year at $81.8 billion.
- 3Q deal count within the core middle market ($100 million to $500 million) reached a near four-year high with 287 transactions valued at a combined $44 billion.
- The upper middle market ($500 million to $1 billion) took a hit, however; only 74 deals were completed worth a combined $33 billion.
- Last quarter saw 195 liquidity events across the U.S. middle market generate $19.8 billion in capital exited, putting the market on pace for a downturn from 2014's totals.
- LP interest in the space remains high, with 3Q amassing $31 billion in commitments, a 10% quarter-over-quarter increase.
Get free access to the report today by clicking here. You can look over all of our 2015 reports here.