As the year winds down, our private equity research analysts have dug through not only their prior research but also year-end data in order to uncover the primary trends that they expect to shape the PE industry the most in 2018. Some themes will seem familiar, having been touched upon in prior reports, while others will be lesser-known. However, after poring through the myriad factors that affect and will continue to affect PE dealmakers, the six key predictions enumerated below are what our analysts have deemed most significant for PE players in the year to come.
• Buyout multiples to remain elevated
• Secondary buyouts will continue gaining in stature
• PE investment in software will proliferate further
• Niche fundraising will continue its rise
• Limited partner (LP) net cashflows will subside
• The number of active US PE investors will shrink