As 2018 winds down, it is now possible to look back on the most important trends that characterized the private equity landscape this year. In the 2019 Private Equity Outlook, our PE-focused analysts review the predictions they made nearly 12 months ago, comparing them against what actually transpired, and then lay out their forecast for the key forces that will drive the global PE market in the year to come.
- GP stakes will experience ongoing innovation.
- Secondaries activity will hit another all-time high.
- Short-term returns will fall for PE funds, but performance will improve relative to public equities.
- PE fundraising will grow for China-focused funds.
- Private debt fundraising will rebound but remain below 2017 levels.
- Multiples in public and private markets will converge further.
- Take-privates will increase in prominence.